Friday, March 1, 2013

Sew Expo...

Yesterday was definitely a good day! Met my good friend Sue at Sew Expo! This was her first trip to Sew Expo so it was funny to see her expression and excitement! It was good day to spend sometime together! 8)  Too bad I had to leave for a class!

The class I signed up for a hands on 2-1/2hr class called " No Slip Pedal for Sewing Machines" with Lynnette Sandbloom who created floor mat for your sewing machine foot pedal using Vinyl Roller shades. You read correctly! What is a Vinyl Roller shade? If you recall years ago, they are window vinyl shades that was plain white and all you had to do was either pull down or give it a little pull and it rolled right up. Well this floor mat is made out of that material! 

How was the class? GREAT! I had A LOT of fun making this mat! I was a bit SLOW that I could not finish the last thing on the list to complete. So when I came home, I applied one coat of Polycrylic to the mat. Here is my Mat. 


 After drying for about 1/2 hour, I tried it out with my foot pedal on top and the result is it WORKS! The back of mat is a little sticky called Safety Back. It keeps the mat in place when placed on any flooring. The neat thing about this mat is it keeps your foot pedal in place. It works GREAT on all floor types: Hardwood, Cork, low pile carpet.

She sells the product on her website: http://beachgardenquilts.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/floor-mat-kit-with-pattern-choice/.

Check it out! 
 
Here are some pictures of Lynette's design mats! They are awesome! 









SHOPPING GOODIES:

I bought a package Bamboo batting (King size). I have heard of it but never used it. What I like about it is there is only 2-3% shrinkage on the first wash. I had to ask the gentleman, "so what is the percentage of shrinkage after the first wash?" He stated there wasn't so I purchased a package and try it out for one of my completed quilt.  He give me his business card and I have to let him know my opinion about the batting. He did have a sample of what the quilt will feel and look like after it was quilted. OH my...the quilt had a very NICE hang and the quilt was very soft!


Then I found a booth that carried YLI thread. I got a few spools of the 100% silk. They are great for hand applique. Then they had these threads by Star. They swear that the company really went to the extreme to improve their Star threads. It is Mercerized Egyptian cotton thread. Well I decided to give it a try. Years ago, I tried their thread and it was HORRIBLE. It kept breaking and lint was not only in my bobbin case but everywhere on and in my machine!


Never tried this thread, so I thought I would try it on my longarm. 
 
WhisperTouch
100% Nylon
.006
Soft, thin, transparent filament nylon in a beefed-up thickness and large spool
for longarms (approx 10,000 yards per spool)
 - feels soft - not like fishing line
 - will not melt with a home iron - despite common mis-information
 
Use for quilting when you don't want the thread to show, when you are stitching on
different color fabrics and don't want to have to match thread to each fabric 
(T-shirt quilts), or for stitching "in the ditch".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
 
 This is thread collection is by Star Threads. This is there "Civil War" collection.
Again, I am going to test these threads out.



 


I HATE change! But with prices rising on my favorite thread line Aurifil, I need to seek other brands.
If you use this thread, please do let me know your thoughts and experience! 8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now for my favorite....FABRICS! 8)

I bought some beautiful batiks from The Pine Needle Shop. Their batiks are beautiful and soft. I only bought a few this year. It was so HARD but I only purchased this... Check out the Beauties!

THAT IS IT!!!!!
 
So today (Saturday).  I will be at home packing a few things to head to our Cabin. We will be back Wednesday afternoon.  Then on Sunday I go back to Sew Expo for another class called "Fun Fast Fusing" with Frieda Anderson & Laura Wasilowski. This just a demonstration class. I will post on Monday and give you the details. 8) Until then...

Have a wonderful Weekend & Happy Stitching!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment